Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: EPUB output 7.0  (Read 4467 times)
twisted

« on: April 10, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »

I'm trying the EPUB output in 7.0 and have a few questions / configuration setup / issues.

In the past I have created epubs using the XMetaL Mulitiple HTML files output and then combined the files into an epub using Sigil. I have also gone through the process of using the Sigil validated to clean up the files until no errors are found.

To started with I created an epub in 7.0 just using the default settings and then open the epub in Sigil and ran the validated. Here are the errors I’m seeing, looks like there might be some css folder configuration setup issues.

OEBPS/Text/commonltr.css N/A This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
OEBPS/content.opf 35 The <item> element's "href" attribute points to file "topics/commonltr.css" which does not exist.
OEBPS/content.opf 36 The <item> element's "href" attribute points to file "topics/commonrtl.css" which does not exist.
OEBPS/topics/commonltr.css N/A This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).
OEBPS/topics/commonrtl.css N/A This resource is present in the OPF <manifest>, but it's not reachable (it's unused).

Are there any recommended settings / advance settings to get the css files detected, without having to go through the manual process of editing each files?

What is the recommended advance setting to include cover art in the epub?

I also notice there are a bunch of advance settings, on the advance tab, are there any explanations on their use?

Also I noticed when I unzip the epub that there was no OEBPS folder??
Most of the files are showing up in the root instead of in the OEBPS folder and then hoped to find files in there subdirectory.

XMetaL 7.0.0.103
Sigil 0.5.3
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:35:57 PM by twisted » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

The experimental EPUB output is part of the "DITA for Publishers" plug-ins for the DITA OT created by Eliot Kimber (which we have now bundled with our 7.0 release). Eliot has created some documentation for it here: http://dita4publishers.sourceforge.net/d4p-user-guide/index.html

There is a section on "Creating Cover Graphics and Covers" and hopefully some other things in there that might help you.
twisted

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

Here are the advance tab setting that I was looking at and was wondering if there were any information / examples showing their usage:

cmd_extended_debug_info  =  no
_ANT_PARAM_cover.graphic.file  = 
_ANT_PARAM_css.output.dir  = 
_ANT_PARAM_epub.exclude.auto.rellinks  = 
_ANT_PARAM_epub.pubid.uri.stub  = 
_ANT_PARAM_epub.temp.dir  = 
_ANT_PARAM_images.output.dir  = 
_ANT_PARAM_title.only.topic.class.spec  = 
_ANT_PARAM_title.only.topic.title.class.spec  = 
_ANT_PARAM_topics.output.dir  = 

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »

You will need to check the DITA 4 Publishers documentation for information on these parameters.

It looks like they are all documented here:
http://dita4publishers.sourceforge.net/d4p-user-guide/user_docs/d4p-users-guide/epub-plugin/epub-transtype-parameters-ref.html
twisted

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »

I'm not having much luck getting the files in the epub output to land in different folders, like css into Styles and html into Text. I have tried Styles and "Styles, Text and "Text". It's not working for me. Does any one have an example that can show me how to key this in?

There is also another problem I'm seeing, it looks like a persistent cache problem or some sort, what's happening, is if I build an epub with one map file and then build another epub with another map file, and then when I go and unzip the epub of the second epub it also contains files from the first epub. These files are not part of the second epub map file. 

Here is what I have tired in customizing the output:

_ANT_PARAM_css.output.dir  = Styles 
_ANT_PARAM_images.output.dir  = Images 
_ANT_PARAM_topics.output.dir  = Text

I have also tried
_ANT_PARAM_css.output.dir  = OEBPS\Styles 
_ANT_PARAM_images.output.dir  = OEBPS\Images 
_ANT_PARAM_topics.output.dir  = OEBPS\Text 
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »

The first underscore in each of these parameters will cause XMetaL to ignore them and likely not pass them through to the DITA OT. Perhaps that is part of your issue?
twisted

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »

Removing the first underscore does solve getting the pathing to work, but only for Text (html) and Images, I still can not get the css files to show up in Styles. The files are showing up in the new location now but they are also still showing up in the root and I still have a growing persistent file issue, even after shutting down and rebooting, as it's a growing list of every file that has been included in an epub is now part of the next epub that gets generated and I have been generating epubs into specific file locations.

Here is what I used:

ANT_PARAM_css.output.dir  = OEBPS\Styles 
ANT_PARAM_images.output.dir  = OEBPS\Images 
ANT_PARAM_topics.output.dir  = OEBPS\Text 
twisted

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »

Well I found where the files are building up:

Application Data\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\temp\epub_temp

So what I'm doing is deleting everything in this folder between each epub build. Maybe this is a bug, that this temp folder is not getting cleaned out between each build.

I also was able to generate a clean epub build and get a clean validations through Sigil and epubcheck 3.0b5-pre by clearing out the files above and using the following advance configuration:

ANT_PARAM_css.output.dir  = OEBPS/Texts 
ANT_PARAM_images.output.dir  = OEBPS/Images 
ANT_PARAM_topics.output.dir  = OEBPS/Text

Pages: 1
Print