Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Extra spaces before and after a conreffed keyword wrapped in <codeph>  (Read 3541 times)
txvia

« on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »

Hi, I have a problem with conreffed keyword wrapped in <codeph> on the PDF output. If I wrapped the texts I typed with <codeph>, the output looks normal; however, if I conreffed a keyword and wrapped it in <codeph>, there are extra spaces before and after the conreffed keyword. Below is an example that illustrates my point:

Source:

You must use a <codeph><keyword>keystore</keyword></codeph>.

Output result:

You must use a ##keystore##. (The # signs indicate extra white spaces).

I've tried outputting to PDF from the same set of source files using both XMetaL and oXygen, and with oXygen, the output looks fine (no extra white spaces), but with XMetaL, I found extra spaces. Are there any workarounds to this? Thanks.

Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

I think if you use the same DITA Open Toolkit transtype in both products you should see the same results.
In oXygen you are probably using the DITA OT transtype "PDF" or "PDF2".

In XMetaL Author Enterprise those two "transtypes" correspond to the following "deliverable types":
PDF = "PDF via FO with default processing"
PDF2 = "Book via RenderX"
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

...and even if you are using the same transtype you probably have a different version of the DITA OT with oXygen.
With XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 the DITA OT version is 1.4.2.1
txvia

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

Hi Derek: Do you think that the newer version of DITA-OT fix that problem? I used PDF2 on both tools, but oXygen seems to be shipped with DITA-OT v.1.5.4, does the latter correct that problem? Thanks.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »

I can't reproduce your issue yet so I can't say what is causing it.

This is what I am testing with. I expect to see a space on either side of the letter "i" in one of the following cases but I do not.

Paragraph 1: just there for reference. The only difference here should be a different font used for the codeph element (by default this is a fixed width font).
Paragraph 2: shows that codeph by itself does not have this issue.
Paragraph 3: shows that codeph with a keyword inside it does not have this issue.
Paragraph 4: shows that reusing codeph2 in place of codeph3 does not have this issue.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE topic PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DITA Topic//EN" "topic.dtd">
<topic id="topic1">
  <title>test</title>
  <body>
    <p>MiM</p>
    <p>M<codeph id="codeph1">i</codeph>M</p>
    <p>M<codeph id="codeph2"><keyword>i</keyword></codeph>M</p>
    <p>M<codeph id="codeph3" conref="#topic1/codeph2"></codeph>M</p>

</body>
</topic>

Generating output gives me the attached PDF.
I think you must be doing something different to trigger this DITA OT limitation.

* codephrasespacingissue.pdf (8.86 KB - downloaded 247 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »

FWIW, using the same XML source, I don't see any extra spaces in a PDF generated with deliverable "XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP" either.
txvia

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »

Hi Derek:
  The "keyword" to my problem is "conref." In your example, you were generating a PDF from a source that does not contain conreffed keyword, but in my case, I used "conreffed" keyword, wrapped it in <codeph>, and I got extra white spaces before and after the "conreffed" keyword. If you don't mind, I can send my source file to you for testing.

I am maintaining a separate DITA file that contains nothing but keywords, and if I want to reference any of those keywords, I inserted them using the "Insert Element with Content Reference" function in XMetaL.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »

I'm going on holiday for two weeks so don't send it to me as it will be lost. Submit a support case using the form on the main website (as usual) so that everyone doing support here can see it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:23:42 PM by Derek Read » Logged
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us