Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Specialized topic types - DITA OT PDF output  (Read 8701 times)
deschnerc

« on: February 19, 2009, 04:33:35 AM »

Hello,

I made some specilizations, there are some new topic types (from Generic Topic) and some new map types.

In XMetaL the specializations are recognized as DITA specializations, but when I want to create a preview PDF the new topic types seem not to be processed. These topics are missing in the output.

I tried to create xsl files similar to the "FAQ" example, but it does not work. I modified the catalog files (catalog-dita.xml, catalog-dita.txt and catalog-dita_template) similar to the "FAQ" example, but it does not work.

Any ideas? Which files do I have to create and/or extend when defining new new topic types?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:45:32 PM by Su-Laine Yeo » Logged
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »

If the DITA OT cannot find your DTDs that is one main reason for output to fail. The only thing that should be necessary in most cases is to tell the DITA OT how to find your specialized DTDs by placing entries in catalog-dita_template.xml.

If you place a copy of your specialized DTDs near the DITA OT's DTDs (here: ..\DITA_OT\dtd) and reference files relative to that position then things should "just work" (and doing so makes it easier to keep track of the relative paths). In most cases I would recommend putting your specialized DTDs in a folder at the same level as the FAQ demo. This is because FAQ definitely works, so if your's doesn't you can then have a look at how they differ. With a default XMetaL Author Enterprise 5.1 installation on English XP this would be here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\demo\<folder>

In some cases a specialization may also provide its own custom output format(s). The DITA OT has a standard method for creating those. But with a proper specialization (one that follows the OASIS specs) that should not be necessary unless you need to do special processing for your particular document type(s) to generate output in a way that differs from the standard output for the element that your specialized element is based on. A good example of this (I believe) would be the "DITA Learning and Training Content Specialization" which includes additional special output processing, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I looked at it and it has probably changed significantly since then as well).
deschnerc

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »

Thanks for your response,

I tried to modify the file "catalog-dita_template.xml".

My specialized DTD is located in

"C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\t3", the Public Id are "t3" and "t3_map".

The entries in "catalog-dita_template.xml" are
   <public publicId="t3" uri="C:/Programme/Gemeinsame Dateien/XMetaL Shared/DITA_OT/t3/t3_shell.dtd"/>
   <public publicId="t3" uri="C:/Programme/Gemeinsame Dateien/XMetaL Shared/DITA_OT/t3/t3.mod"/>
   <public publicId="t3_map" uri="C:/Programme/Gemeinsame Dateien/XMetaL Shared/DITA_OT/t3/t3_map_shell.dtd"/>
   <public publicId="t3_map" uri="C:/Programme/Gemeinsame Dateien/XMetaL Shared/DITA_OT/t3/t3_map.mod"/>

The result is the same.

I moved my DTD to the folder "C:/Programme/Gemeinsame Dateien/XMetaL Shared/DITA_OT/demo/t3" (I updated the references accordng to new location in my DTDs and in the catalog files). The result is the same, in the Editor it works, the map was processed correctly but the topics are missing.

I am really confused...
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »

If you have not checked the DITA OT's output log file that would be a good place to start. From my experience when the DITA OT fails in these cases the log file error messages are fairly helpful.
deschnerc

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »

If you have not checked the DITA OT's output log file that would be a good place to start. From my experience when the DITA OT fails in these cases the log file error messages are fairly helpful.

This would be right, but the problem is: When I click "Show Logfile", the system tells me that there is no log file. Where can I find the logfile manually?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »

The log file should be generated here:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\XMetaL\renditions\log\log.txt

On a default installation of English Windows XP that file will be here:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your windows account name>\Local Settings\Temp\XMetaL\renditions\log\log.txt

XMetaL Author Enterprise uses that file as the base for what it shows you (basically everything it contains is shown in the log file you open in XMetaL plus some additional information, plus it is reformatted as XML so that it can be displayed in XMetaL, along with the little bit of styling that attempts to highlight what are most likely to be areas of concern based on various keywords).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:17:36 PM by Derek Read » Logged
deschnerc

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:56 AM »

Ok, I solved the problem. My DITA OT Installation was damaged.

Thx a lot!
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: