Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Embed custom font in webhelp output  (Read 3344 times)
txvia

« on: November 08, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »

Hi, I've been given a task to embed proprietary fonts in our webhelp output. I know for a fact that Cufon has a solution for this by generating a custom javascript through their website and include it in the webhelp output: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/; this works however,  only for our corporate website but not for the webhelp output, which I think should work the same way by including the generated javascript and add <script></script> tags in the html file that call this javascript. My question is: Is this feasible? I assume if it works in the production website, it should work on the local copy of webhelp too since javascripts work well for both online and offline html files.

I am attaching the two fonts I want to embed into my webhelp output for your reference.

Here is the corporate website I am referring to: http://www.txvia.com

Thanks.

* Fonts.zip (41.8 KB - downloaded 198 times.)
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »

You will need to know what changes need to be made first. So, I think it would be best to do this:

1. Generate output to Webhelp.
2. Compare that with what you need to put on the website and figure out what changes need to be made.
3. Make changes to the XSLT that produces the Webhelp.

If you can't figure out #2 on your own it would be best to pass the files produced along to your website people and have them do that. Once the changes are set in stone I think I can probably help you with #3, if you need it.

Our WebHelp plug-in is inside a subfolder called "webhelp". For the deployed instance of the DITA OT that would be here:
%appdata%\SoftQuad\XMetaL Shared\DITA_OT\demo\webhelp
txvia

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »

Hi Derek, as always, thanks for the quick reply. My question is not so much on how to use certain fonts in the html output,  but rather on how to "embed" proprietary fonts in the html pages that are ordinarily not installed in users' computers. I mentioned Cufon because that is a widely used method to embed fonts in html pages. I assume if it works for ordinary production html-based sites, it should work for local copies of html pages as well. Thanks again.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »

Yes, I understood. I can't think of anything that would stop the HTML produced for our WebHelp from working with other scripts short of there being some conflict between the scripts used for the Cufon font functionality interfering with the scripts we deliver that drive the ToC, and Search.

I would hand this off to your website people to debug. Is that feasible? Something like FireBug should give you an idea fairly quickly if that's the issue. All of the scripts used by the WebHelp that XMetaL produces are all inside .js files inside the \xmwebhelp\script folder.
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

If Cufon is too much trouble there is also this: https://typekit.com

I've seen demos of that solution (before Adobe bought them) and it would seem to be the cleanest, most standards-compliant solution for what you need. It also avoids legal issues that you probably need to worry about when using other solutions (where you might accidentally deliver a font that you should not be due to font licensing terms).
txvia

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »

Great, thanks for your help Derek.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: