Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: Make changes take effect without restarting XMetaL  (Read 3365 times)
Stoobie

« on: April 05, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »

We're using a CMS that updates several XMetaL files on my machine when I open the CMS. At the same time, I need to be able to restore my original versions of these files when authoring topics that aren't on the CMS.

When the CMS updates these files, I don't have to restart XMetaL for the changes to take effect, but when I restore the original files, I do.

The files in question are:
  • \XMetaL 6.0\Author\Rules\dita.soc and dita_specialized.soc
  • a bunch of files in \XMetaL 6.0\Author\DITA\

Is there a way to make my changes take effect without restarting XMetaL?
Derek Read
Program Manager (XMetaL)
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »

The *.soc files are part of the catalog lookup system that also includes the file "catalog" (no file extension). In order to have these files re-read the product must be restarted. There is currently no way around this and we do not plan to add such a feature. If these *.soc files are not modified from the previously read-in versions then you should not need to restart. I'm not sure what the other files are so cannot comment on those.

Normally an integration between a CMS system and XMetaL should not need to modify these application folders after the integration is installed. You may wish to check with the CMS vendor to ask why they feel this is necessary (there may be a good reason I cannot think of). They could then contact us (through our partner support system) to figure out if there is a better way for their integration to be designed. Most likely there is a better way because we have integrations with many CMS systems and this is the first I have heard of with this requirement. Keep in mind that older versions of Windows (XP) may allow this, but newer versions (Vista and 7) with their most restrictive security model will make it difficult for such a system to function without disabling UAC and running the software as an administrator.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:06:27 AM by Derek Read » Logged
Stoobie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:26 AM »

Our usage model is not the one assumed by the CMS we are using, SDL Trisoft. We need a way to migrate piecemeal to the CMS, and still maintain our local authoring environment until we see that all works the way it should with the CMS.

That's the reason we need to replace the .soc files.

This is something necessary for the short term, and I'm just trying to make my life and the lives of my fellow writers easier by providing this macro.

I guess SDL managed to find a way to refresh the GUI after copying over their version of the dita.soc and dita_specialized.soc files, but if you say there isn't a way, then I won't waste anymore time on this.

Thanks, Derek.
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to: