Pages: 1
Print
Author Topic: ulink for URL:how to make the link open in a new window, when clicked form a PDF  (Read 2530 times)
Lenin

« on: September 03, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »

When using an ULINK tag in xmetal to create a web url or web link in the PDF. When i generate a pdf and open it in an internet explorer, when i click the link, it  opens in the same explorer window. Is there a way to make the link open in a new window.

snapshot:
<para id="v42824230"><ulink url="http://google.com">Google</ulink></para>

when i click the link Google in a PDF that is opened in an internet explorer, i want it to open in a new window.
dcramer

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »

Let's first see if I understand your question correctly: When a user views a pdf directly in IE and clicks on a hyperlink to a URL, it currently replaces the pdf with the target and you want it to open in a new tab or window.

I don't know how to control that or if that's even possible (it's hard to google for since all the hits talk about opening a link to a pdf from an html page in a new window). You'll need to figure out if links in pdfs can even do that (maybe ask on some pdf-centric mailing list). Then you'll need to find out if your fo renderer can create those kind of links in the pdf it produces (ask the support list for your fo renderer). Then, you'll need to modify your xslts so they generate the xsl-fo necessary for the fo renderer to create that kind of pdf. Assuming you're using DocBook, you'd ask on the docbook-apps mailing list when you get to that point.

Good luck,
David

David Cramer
Technical Writer
Motive, an Alcatel-Lucent Company
Pages: 1
Print
Jump to:  

email us